Chinese Study Sheds Light on Interesting Myopia Facts
Myopia, commonly known as nearsightedness, is a major problem in East Asia, with somewhere between 80 to 90 percent of the population affected by this condition. The problem is especially prevalent in China. Half of the world’s 13 million children with myopia reside in this country. To find the cause behind these statistics, a recent study looked into myopia among children in two Chinese provinces and produced perplexing results.
The study was conducted in 2012 by government agencies and universities in China, along with scholars from Stanford University. They studied the vision of 9,489 students in Shaanxi, a middle-class province, and 10,137 students in Gansu, one of the poorest provinces in the country. The results were somewhat surprising. Myopia was found in 23 percent of students in Shaanxi and only 12.7 percent of students in Gansu.
Why would students from middle-income families have twice the risk for myopia than those from lower-income families? The researchers are still looking to pinpoint the main cause, but they do have one plausible theory: blackboards. Students residing in Gansu likely rely more on blackboards in the classroom than textbooks. Textbooks require up-close focusing that been linked to myopia in other studies. Other than that, researchers could not find any differences between the two provinces that might explain the variation.
Here are three more interesting findings from the survey:
• Myopia was less prevalent in males than females.
• When adjusting for other factors, living in a middle-class area resulted in a 69 percent increased risk for myopia.
• There was a direct correlation between higher math scores and myopia in all children.
Drop a line for our sales representative to get in touch with you
Best Practices in RCM Services : Optimizing Your Front Office
- 14 Apr 2021
- Full potential for revenue cycle starts with an optimized front office
- Scheduling, pre-registration, insurance verification, authorization, p...
Overpayments and Underpayments: What You Need to Know
- 12 Apr 2021
- Quarterly self-audits will help you identify underpayments and overpayments.
- You must self-report overpayments within 60 days of becoming aw...
EMRs For Specialty Contact Lenses: How To Select The Right One For Your Practice
- 12 Mar 2021
Look for EMRs With Many Detailed Touches, Good User Interfaces, And Adaptability to Special Circumstances For some optometrists, myself included, the apex of the doctor-patient ...