Medicare Modifiers:12 Billing Mistakes You Might Be Making
To accurately report your optical dispensary’s services and supplies that you provide to your post-surgery patients, you must ensure that your Medicare claims forms include the right supply codes and that you’re applying these four key Medicare modifiers to those codes. Otherwise, your claims will be incomplete—and ultimately denied.
Keep These 4 Medicare Modifiers Handy
- To show that you have an ABN signed by the patient and on file for a particular non-covered item, you’ll append HCPCS modifier GA [Waiver of liability statement issued as required by payer policy, individual case] to the item’s code, advises Krystin Keller, CPC, who spoke about Medicare coding at a previous year’s SECO conference.
- Append modifier GY [Item or service statutorily excluded, does not meet the definition of any Medicare benefit or, for non-Medicare insurers, is not a contract benefit] “when a procedure is always excluded from Medicare’s payable benefits and you require a denial from Medicare to process the claim through the patient’s secondary insurance,” says Keller.
- You’ll report modifier EY [No physician or other licensed health care provider order for this item or service] with supply codes “for tints, A/R, and extras not prescribed by the doctor to show that the add-on was not prescribed by the physician,” according to Keller.
- For items that the doctor prescribes but that Medicare normally doesn’t cover, says Keller, append KX [Requirements specified in the medical policy have been met] to the supply code and ensure the patients signs an ABM form.
8 Common Reasons Medicare Denies DME Claims
As a DMEPOS supplier, you’ll have an easier time recouping pay for your dispensary’s post-surgery eyewear if you can prevent these claim form errors and process glitches , highlighted by Mary Pat Johnson, COMT, CPC, COE, CPMA, who spoke about post-cataract eyewear coding at a previous year’s Vision Expo West conference:
Drop a line for our sales representative to get in touch with you
Best Practices in RCM Services : Optimizing Your Front Office
- 14 Apr 2021
- Full potential for revenue cycle starts with an optimized front office
- Scheduling, pre-registration, insurance verification, authorization, p...
Overpayments and Underpayments: What You Need to Know
- 12 Apr 2021
- Quarterly self-audits will help you identify underpayments and overpayments.
- You must self-report overpayments within 60 days of becoming aw...
EMRs For Specialty Contact Lenses: How To Select The Right One For Your Practice
- 12 Mar 2021
Look for EMRs With Many Detailed Touches, Good User Interfaces, And Adaptability to Special Circumstances For some optometrists, myself included, the apex of the doctor-patient ...